To help reduce the "mistake" factor, I looked through thousands of fonts before settling on the one I used. Printed it off on copy paper, used a craft knife to carefully cut out each letter & number. Put the paper on the canvas and colored in with pencil the exposed areas. Removed stencil, backed away from the canvas to check for centering & leveling of the letters. I was pleased.
Placing a book beneath the canvas I carefully painted the penciled areas with black paint. This was very nerve wracking! Hard to cover up a black mark on such a white area! I keep on, needing an assistant to wipe the perspiration from my face as I carefully leaned over the canvas to finish what I had started.
Slowly I crept.....uh, painted. Wipe please!!!
Ta Da! Finis! My customer was pleased as punch that something they bought was personalized to make it extra special for the newly married couple. This piece was to be placed over the couch in their living room as a focal point.
Ok, I'll settle for not-so-nerve racking jobs in the future please!