Wednesday, September 17, 2008

SANDING, Sanding, sanding.....

Ok, this is not a piece of cake! I finished sanding through the varnish that didn't come off with the coats of paint. I finished the tougher work with a hand sander tonight. Tomorrow after a company dinner, I'll put on my work jeans & get to work with sandpapering by hand. The piece of furniture has lots of curves making it a challenge to work with. If I get through with the sanding, I'll use a pecan polymer stain to give it a nice luster. The wood is NOT the best looking. It's pieced together as if back in the good ole days someone used wood to piece it together. I'm hoping that after the pecan stain it will turn out a lot better. I plan on collaging some of our Italian trip pictures (also with actual Italian embellishments) on the top & have a piece of beveled glass cut to put on top of the collage for added protection. I also have in mind adding some Italian words along the sides......still working that aspect....any suggestions with an Italian theme?

2 comments:

Shelly Hickox said...

This is going to be so cool when you get it done! I've stripped a few things in the past only to find there was a reason they painted it, lol! Yours looks like a beauty. I love the Italian theme idea.

Dianne Adams said...

Can't wait to see the finished product!! The Italian pics. sound great.